Monday, September 12, 2011

Astorath the Grim

Here is the leader of my army, Astorath the Grim.

Before:


After:

Paint: Astorath took me about 5 hours total to complete. It started with a chaos black undercoat. I then lightly painted red gore. I accented certain areas of his armor with blood red and then painted them again with red gore to give them a lighter color. His shoulder pads were a base coat of white with a sunburst yellow and then shining gold trim. The main part of the shoulder pads were painted with bleached bone. The wings and his hair are a special color that I mixed up of chaos black, skull white, and boltgun metal. His face was a base-coat of white and then bleached bone, following the picture in the blood angels codex, inside his mouth is red gore and his eyes are chaos black. His ax is a bleached bone handle, shining gold connector, and the ax head is a mixture of Liche purple and boltgun metal. The very edge of the ax blade is an accent of boltgun metal. The paper streaming down from his jump pack is white base coat with bleached bone on top then scribbled on with chaos black. The entire model was then varnished.

The hardest part about painting this model was how unwieldy it was, I actually painted it in halves, first I painted his main body, jump pack, wings, and weapon. Then I varnished that part of the model. Once that was dry I held the model from that part as I did the paper streaming off of his jump pack.

Side Note: I ended up getting the "insane detail" games workshop brush that they sell. It was worth every penny, without it I could not have done a lot of the fine detail that I needed to on this model. And for only about $4 it is possibly the cheapest thing you could ever buy from games workshop (aside from paint, but you can't just buy 1 thing of paint).